Blackstar Tech Tool is a free, open source utility for computer technicians. It’s primary aim is to collect necessary tools for any individual job into a single, easy-to-use package.
Another purpose of the tool is to function as a scripting trainer. I’m trying to comment the code as completely as possible while also releasing tutorial videos to aid in learning an array of different scripting languages. I’m not a professional at scripting, but I do this work daily and am always learning new ways to get things done.
A macOS version is in the works, but in its earliest stages, and I’ll also be providing updates on that.
01/29/20 – v.0.9.3
- Removed Emsisoft from malware scans utility. Software created massive performance issues on over half of the machines it was installed on, frequently wouldn’t uninstall properly.
- Added graphics to progress bars
- Added Google Earth Pro to usability software
11/29/19 – v.0.9.2
- Hidden most batch scripts to clean up appearance of application running
- All usability software and anti-malware installer scripts are now also cleaner to look at
- System Restore creation has likewise been updated to hide batch script
- Initialization script has also been updated to beautify and streamline the install procedure
- Fixed issue where uninstall script would get into a loop and ask to uninstall software forever
- Minor cleanup in code comments
11/27/19 – v.0.9.1
- More complete cleanup routine for uninstall; no software traces are left behind.
11/14/19 – v.0.9.0
- Adopted MIT License
- Added Snappy Driver Installer Origin to utilities menu
- Added Visual Studio Code to Usability Software utility
- Updated EULA to include all included software licenses
- Performed some maintenance on comments in code
11/03/19 – v.0.1.0
- Initialization script; gathers system information, generates HTML file with all pertinent specs, installs Chocolatey package manager and other necessary utilities
- Restore point creation script; enables system restore, sets restore point disk allocation, deletes/creates system restore points
- Malware removal utility; installs, updates, runs and removes anti-malware applications.
- Usability software utility; installs and updates basic usability software.
- Check browsers script; detects and launches all popular web browsers.
- Create review link script; creates customized Google review links.
- Quality assurance script; runs final check on machine and generates system status report.
Automatically installed utilities:
- WizTree disk space usage utility
- CCleaner temporary file and system cleaning utility
- Autoruns startup manager
- Process Explorer process manager
- Tweaking.com Windows Repair Utility (optional install)
Automatically installed diagnostic tools:
- HDTune hardware test
- BlueScreenView system dump reader
- HeavyLoad stress test utility
- FurMark GPU stress test utility
Available anti-malware software:
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware
- Hitman Pro
- ClamWin Antivirus
- Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
- Spybot Search & Destroy
- McAfee Stinger
- TrendMicro Housecall
- GMER Anti-Rootkit
Available usability software:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- K-Lite Media Codec
- 7-Zip File Compression Utility
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Oracle OpenOffice
- Classic Shell
- Java Runtime Environment
- GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)